Roddy Doyle & The Letters Page
Tuesday 15th October 2019
6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Stage event starts at 8pm
- Seated dining from 6pm
- £15 'Ticket & Food Deal' includes 2 meze dishes & sourdough flatbread
- Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Meze Menu
- Last food orders by 7:15pm
Roddy Doyle in conversation with Jon McGregor
Renowned authors Roddy Doyle and Jon McGregor will be discussing their life and work in an event organised by the University of Nottingham. The event will launch the fourth volume of The Letters Page, a collection of stories, essays, and poems published in the form of handwritten letters.
Roddy Doyle is a novelist and screenwriter from Dublin. He is a prolific author, who has written novels, children’s books, plays, screenplays, short stories, and two non-fiction books. His many awards include the Booker Prize for Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (1993), the Irish PEN Award (2009), and the BAFTA Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Commitments (1991).
Roddy will be talking about his life and writing career, as well as reading from his latest work, Charlie Savage.
He will be joined on stage by Professor Jon McGregor, University of Nottingham’s writer-in-residence and editor of The Letters Page. Prof. McGregor’s books include Reservoir 13, Even the Dogs, and If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things. His awards include the Costa Novel Award (2017) and the Dublin Literature Prize (2012).
About the event, Roddy said:
“I'm delighted to be coming to Nottingham to launch the new issue of The Letters Page; I've been a big fan from the early days, and I know that many people share my fondness for letters and letter writing. I'm looking forward to a good chat with Jon McGregor about the role letters have played in my own life; and of course I'll be talking about everything else as well.”
Volume 4 of The Letters Page features an entry by Roddy Doyle. Copies will be available to purchase at a special price at the event, along with a selection of Roddy Doyle’s work.
Tickets are £7, or £15 including dinner. Guests who have purchased dinner tickets should arrive by 6pm; the stage event will begin at 8pm.
View our MenuBack to all events
Roddy Doyle & The Letters Page
- All seating is allocated by our Maitre d', who will make every attempt to accommodate your first choice. This is not always possible, and for busy events your party may even be split between tables. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We respectfully ask that you consider fellow listeners and artists by silencing mobile phones and keeping noise to a minimum during performances
- These are the premium seats, each one having clear sight lines to the stage
- You can request to be seated in Dizzy (raked theatre), Duke (side wall), Monk or Bird (bar stools), Billie (front of stage) or Mingus (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats on a first come, first served basis. (Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfill all customers requirements)
- Each of these seats is at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can also request to be seated in an area near the window (Ella or Satchmo). Please note, some tables have restricted view
EARLY BIRD/ADV TICKET
- These are seated if the event is seated, or standing otherwise
STANDARD, SEATED IF AVAILABLE TICKET
- Standard tickets are realeased once seated tickets have sold out
- These are for any of the table seating not occupied by "seated" ticketholders, or for standing in the bar area behind the seated auditorium. We politely ask that you stand within this area so as not to obscure the view of the seated audience
- Seating in the areas Billie and Mingus will not be available for these events.
- Usually, other seating areas will be bookable, but please be aware that other audience members may obscure your view of the stage in some locations
- We are able to cater for bookings of up to 22 people in the area 'Ella' and up to 12 in 'Satchmo'
- We can also arrange for a standing buffet for more people on request
Please email email@example.com to discuss your enquiry
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
ONLINE TICKETS/ON THE DOOR
- Online ticket sales finish an hour before the listed start time
- There are often tickets available on the door, but we would advise purchasing online as events can sell out well in advance