Lyrical Lunch with the Last Poets
Thursday 28th March 2019
12:00pm - 2:00pm
Join Michelle 'Mother' Hubbard in Conversation with The Last Poets, Umar Bin Hassan, Abiodun Oyewole and Donn Babatunde. Catch a quick poem or two, find out about their process and journey in poetry, and take the opportunity to ask questions.
“The Last Poets are the birthplace of rap.” Chuck D
Modern day griots, fusing politically outspoken lyrics with inventive percussion - The Last Poets spoken word albums foreshadowed the work of hard-hitting rap groups such as Public Enemy. The Last Poets album (1970), is considered the first hip-hop album of all time, and This Is Madness (1971), landed them on President Nixon’s Counter-Intelligence Programming list!
"The Last Poets are the prototype Rappers... the kina nigger you don never wanna meet! They teach what America does to its Black men, what Black men do to themselves, and WHY!” Amiri Baraka.
“A word hasn’t been coined to fit what we’re talking about,” The Last Poets told Rolling Stone in 1970.
presented by Apples & Snakes in association with Big White Shed and Writing East Midlands
limited number of bursary places available – please contact email@example.com
The Last Poets will be performing at Peggy’s Skylight on Wednesday March 27th 7pm – 12 midnightBack to all events
Ticket(s) for this event are purchased off-site.
- All seating is allocated by our Maitre d', who will make every attempt to accommodate your first choice. This is not always possible, and for busy events your party may even be split between tables. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We respectfully ask that you consider fellow listeners and artists by silencing mobile phones and keeping noise to a minimum during performances
- These are the premium seats, each one having clear sight lines to the stage
- You can request to be seated in Dizzy (raked theatre), Duke (side wall), Monk or Bird (bar stools), Billie (front of stage) or Mingus (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats on a first come, first served basis. (Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfill all customers requirements)
- Each of these seats is at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can also request to be seated in an area near the window (Ella or Satchmo). Please note, some tables have restricted view
STANDARD, SEATED IF AVAILABLE TICKET
- Standard tickets are realeased once seated tickets have sold out
- These are for any of the table seating not occupied by "seated" ticketholders, or for standing in the bar area behind the seated auditorium. We politely ask that you stand within this area so as not to obscure the view of the seated audience
- We are able to cater for bookings of up to 22 people in the area 'Ella' and up to 12 in 'Satchmo'
- We can also arrange for a standing buffet for more people on request
Please email email@example.com to discuss your enquiry
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
ADVANCE TICKETS/ON THE DOOR
- Advance ticket sales finish at 18:30 on the day of the concert
- There are often tickets available on the door, but we would advise purchasing online as events can sell out well in advance